BUNN Speed Brew is a new addition to Bunn’s at home coffee makers that make exceptionally good coffee in a matter of minutes. Speed Brew is quite close to its previous model, the Velocity Brew, but is there a difference between them? That’s what we’re going to find out in this post.
Features of BUNN Speed Brew:
- 10-cup capacity coffee maker (50 oz).
- Brews a full pot in about 4 minutes.
- Minimum brew capacity is 4 cups (20 oz).
- Features BUNN’s Sprayhead technology that ensures evenly saturated and extracted coffee.
- Internal water tank keeps the water hot at optimal temperature of 200F.
- Pour-O-Matic glass carafe has been designed to eliminate spillage downside the carafe and on the warming plate.
- Lime-tolerant Sprayhead discourages mineral build up
What Is The Difference Between Speed Brew and Velocity Brew?
The Speed Brew and Velocity Brew are quite similar in what they do. You might find the name ‘Speed Brew’ misleading as both models brew a full pot at the same time, in about 3 to 4 minutes. But here’s how these two differ from each other:
- Both Speed Brew and Velocity Brew use a sprayhead that showers the coffee ground to ensure even saturation of the coffee and a full extraction. The difference, however, is that the Speed Brew Sprayhead extends the contact time between water and the coffee ground, which results in better tasting coffee.
- Design wise, the Speed Brew has a curved design which has a better effect on how the coffee drips down to the pot.
- Both machines have the same Pour-O-Matic glass carafe that eliminates spills.
Which One Should You Buy?
When it comes to the Speed Brew and Velocity Brew, the one thing that will make a difference is:
- The extended coffee/water contact time that the Speed Brew offers.
So if that would make a difference to you (it really does affect the taste of coffee, and if you’re familiar with pour-over, you should know the difference), then certainly go for the Speed Brew. If you feel like it wouldn’t be of much difference to you, you can save yourself a few bucks by going for the Velocity Brew and still get great coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Fast Does Bunn SpeedBrew Make a Pot of Coffee?
It takes about 4 minutes to brew a full pot, which is a lot faster than your average coffee maker which takes up to 7 minutes and more.
Is Bunn SpeedBrew BPA-FREE?
Yes, the machine is BPA-Free and free of any harmful plastic content.
Is Bunn SpeedBrew Made in the US?
The machine is labelled ‘Assembled in the USA’, which is a little different than Made in the USA. That basically means that parts of the machines were imported from many different countries but were put together in their factory in the USA.
All New BUNN Speed Brew Models and How They Compare:
Since the release of the Speed Brew model (pictured above), BUNN has worked on updating this popular coffee maker and has released three additional models under the Speed Brew name: Speed Brew Elite, Speed Brew Select and Speed Brew Platinum. Let’s have a look at what’s new and how they compare:
For the most part, the Speed Brew machines are still the same as the old one in terms of speed. It is still the fastest coffee maker (in comparison to similar coffee makers) that can brew a full pot in about 3 to 4 minutes. It still has the same sprayhead that ensures the best coffee ground saturation and it still comes with the same drip-free carafe that everyone prefers.
What’s changed, then?
The design has certainly changed. The look of the machine has been updated to a cleaner and more modern look. The machine is less plastic-y, it has some nice metallic accents that give it a sleek design.
All three models have the same capacity: 50 oz carafe (10-cups), and can brew a minimum of 20 oz, which is enough for a large travel mug.
What Is The Difference Between Speed Brew Elite vs. Speed Brew Select vs. Speed Brew Platinum?
All three models have the same capacity. Even the same capacity as the older model.
The difference between Speed Brew Elite vs. Speed Brew Select is aesthetic only: The Elite model is black with some metallic accents, the Select model is all black plastic.
The difference between Speed Brew Elite, Speed vs Platinum is the carafe. The Elite and Speed models have a glass carafe while the Platinum model has a double-walled vacuum sealed thermal carafe.