Before you drink or eat anything, it is certainly important to know the ingredients of what you’re about to consume. When it comes to coffee capsules and pods, we often wonder what’s really inside them. We’ve already answered the often asked question, “is K-Cup Instant Coffee?” in a previous post. Today, the question is about Nespresso: What’s inside the Nespresso capsule, does it contain any sugar or milk content?
What’s Inside a Nespresso Capsule?
When you insert a Nespresso capsule into a Nespresso machine, with one press, you get a nice shot of espresso in under a minute. This may confuse some people into thinking that the capsule contains instant coffee for example, which is why it comes out so quickly. That’s not the case, though.
A Nespresso capsule contains 100% ground coffee. It is NOT instant, and it does NOT contain any kind of additives, no sugar, no milk. Just pure coffee.
Looking at the shot of espresso pictured above, you see a think layer on top of that espresso. If you’re new to the world of Espresso, you might think this is foamy milk, but it isn’t. This layer is called Crema, it is produced due to the water forced through the coffee ground, which is basically how Espresso is made.
Making Milk Based Drinks – Cappuccino/Latte…
Now let’s say you want to make a creamy cup of Cappuccino or Latte using your Nespresso machine, how do you do it? The Nespresso coffee capsule only makes you the espresso, which is the base of the drink you want. In order to make a Cappuccino or a Latte (or any coffee drink), you’ll have to add the milk yourself, as well as any other additives or flavors you want.
Using a milk frother (an Aeroccino is recommended, although any frother will do), you’ll froth your milk to your desired consistency then add it to the espresso. Here’s a video explaining how to do it:
Nespresso also has some machines that automate this whole process, so the machine is able to brew the coffee, froth the milk and add it to the cup all automatically. The Nespresso Lattissima Pro is one of these awesome machines. Click here to learn more about the Nespresso Lattissima Pro.
Here’s Why We Prefer Nespresso To Other Capsule Coffee Brewers
If you like Espresso as well as other coffee drinks like Cappuccino, Latte or Macchiato, you’ll probably find lots of options to choose from, Dolce Gusto being one for example. But here’s why we think Nespresso is a better option:
- Nespresso’s capsule contains pure coffee and nothing else. This makes it a healthier option for you, you can control what you add to your coffee and make it how you like.
- If we compare Nespresso to Dolce Gusto for example, when making a Cappuccino, Dolce Gusto packs the coffee in a capsule and milk in another capsule, you’ll get the convenience of a single-serve but the ingredients you’ll be using are not fresh. Where with Nespresso, you’ll be using Fresh milk and pure coffee.
- Same thing goes to K-Cups (specifically flavored, milk-based coffee drinks), a K-Cup packs everything in it including the milk, flavors and coffee, so what you’ll be drinking is an artificial, powdered drink. (This does not apply to black coffee K-Cups, which contain coffee ground only).
If you want the best tasting coffee, then you’ll have to make sure what you’re using is fresh. This goes to the coffee as well as the milk. Some people might choose to add artificial flavorings to their coffee, but at least you’ll be in control of what you add and how much of it you add.
Buying Nespresso OriginalLine Capsules
Starbucks OriginalLine Capsules by Nespresso
The best thing about owning a Nespresso OriginalLine machine, whether it’s a Citiz, Pixie, Essenza Mini, Lattissima or a Creatista… is the fact that it is compatible with coffee capsules from many brands other than Nespresso, which gives you a whole lot of options to choose from.
Without a doubt, Starbucks is one of the world’s leading coffee brands. And now, you can enjoy a cup of Starbucks coffee at a friction of the price and in the comfort of your own home (or office!).
Starbucks Coffee Capsules for Nespresso Original Line Machines
Starbucks has worked hand in hand with Nespresso to bring these capsules to work perfectly with your Nespresso OriginalLine machines. So unlike some third-party capsules, these will not produce weak coffee and they will fit your machine perfectly.
These capsules are:
- Authentic Starbucks brand made by Nespresso, made for OriginalLine machines only.
- Available in many intensities and blends.
- Made from recyclable aluminum, just like Nespresso’s own capsules.
If you have a Vertuo, VertuoPlus or any of the VertuoLine machines, these capsules are NOT compatible with your machine. See below for capsules compatible with Vertuo machines.
These capsules are compatible if your machine is a Nespresso OriginalLine machine and that includes models such as: Pixie, CitiZ, Lattessima, Essenza, Creatista…. Nespresso machines by DeLonghi or Breville, even machines from other brands that are Original Line compatible.
Best Starbucks Variety Pack Nespresso Capsules
This variety-pack includes a total of 5 boxes, with 10 capsules in each pack. You will receive:
- House Blend: Lungo (3.7 oz) capsules with Intensity level 8, Medium roast.
- Colombia: Single-origin Espresso (1.35 oz) capsules with intensity level of 7, medium roast.
- Caffe Verona: Intensity level 10, dark roast espresso capsules.
- Pike Place Roast: Intensity level 7, medium roast Lungo capsules.
- Blonde Espresso Roast: Intensity level 6, Starbucks blonde roast (light), can be enjoyed as espresso or Ristretto (0.85 oz)
The Intense Variety pack includes the strongest roasts, which can be enjoyed on its own or if you like your coffee with milk but still prefer a strong coffee taste.
This pack includes:
- One Espresso roast, which has intensity level of 11.
- Two sleeves of Caffe Verona – Intensity level 10.
- One sleeve of Colombia – Intensity level 7.
- One sleeve of Pike Place lungo capsules – intensity level 7.
If you prefer your coffee on the lighter side, but still flavorful, this Mild Variety Pack is for you. It includes:
- Two sleeves of House Blend Lungo capsules – intensity level 8.
- One sleeve of Pike Place Lungo capsules – intensity level 7.
- One sleeve Colombia espresso capsules, intensity level 7.
- One sleeve of Blonde Espresso roast, intensity level 6.
What Coffee Beverages Can I Make With These Capsules?
These capsules can be used for any coffee drink you’d like to make: espresso, lungo, cappuccino, latte… you name it!
Espresso capsules are recommended for any milk based drink such as a cappuccino, latte or macchiato. If you want the taste of the coffee to come through, use a higher intensity or a dark roast such as the Espresso roast or Caffe Verona.
These capsules contain pure coffee ground in them, so no artificial flavoring or sugar. For milk, you can use an Aeroccino milk frother (or any other milk frother you might have) to heat and froth the milk.
If you like your coffee flavored, you can buy coffee syrups to add to your drink, just like a Starbucks barista would do when making your drink in store.
Don’t Want a Variety Pack? No Problem!
You can still buy your favorite blend on its own, if you prefer a single type only…
Starbucks Capsules for VertuoLine Machines
Just like the OriginalLine capsules, these Vertuo capsules are made in collaboration between Starbucks and Nespresso – so you should expect the best quality of capsules and coffee.
You’ll find the following varieties available for Vertuo machines:
Pike Place – 7.7 oz Mug size
Sumatra – 7.7 oz Mug size
Colombia – 7.7 oz mug size
Espresso roast – 1.35 oz espresso size
Blonde roast – 1.35 oz espresso size
All mug size pods come in 8 count, while the espresso pods come in 10 count.
Nespresso OriginalLine Capsules
Nespresso’s range of capsules for their OriginalLine machines is guaranteed to satisfy all tastes. Whether you like your coffee black or with milk, strong or mild… there’s always something for you.
Nespresso tends to have many releases of their capsules:
Master Origin line: which has single origin coffees from around the world.
World Explorations line which has unique blends of coffee named after cities.
Barista Creations includes capsules blended especially to be used for milk based drinks. Smooth and balanced, some are naturally flavored, too.
ISPIRAZIONE ITALIANA – a Italian inspired collection of capsules.
Limited Edition Capsules: usually released around holidays and are only available for limited time.
Buying Nespresso Capsules from Third Party Brands
Original line capsules are available from brands other than Nespresso or Starbucks. For anyone looking to save a bit on their coffee capsule expenses, you’ll find these to be a great option.
There are too many brands to list, but I’ll give you one important tip:
Always opt for an aluminum made capsule instead of plastic ones.
Aluminum capsules are not only recyclable, but they also retain heat better and result in a better than than plastic capsules.