Before we get to the best on demand coffee makers, let me first clarify what is an on-demand coffee maker and how it works:
Unlike usual coffee makers that include a carafe that holds the coffee until you drink it, an on-demand coffee maker, also known as a dispensing coffee maker, holds the coffee in a tank within the machine and keeps it hot there. When you want coffee, you’ll simply push a lever to dispense as much coffee as you want.
Is an On-demand Coffee Maker Better than a Regular Coffee Maker?
It is better in two ways:
- There’s less parts to worry about. No need to worry about glass carafe replacements.
- The coffee tastes better and less burnt than a coffee that’s been sitting on a burner for a while.
But How Do You Clean an On-Demand Coffee Maker?
Good question! The internal coffee tank in an on-demand coffee maker is detachable, so you simply pick it up, wash it and place it back. It’s that simple.
Best On-Demand Coffee Makers:
Here’s the two top-rated on demand coffee makers we found –
KRUPS KM9008 Cup on Request Programmable Coffee Maker with Precise Warming Technology – 12-Cup Capacity:
- Fully programmable coffee maker with timer, cup size selection, aroma selection (coffee strength) and more.
- Precise Warming Technology: a dual heating system that keeps coffee hot and tasting consistent for up to 4 hours from brew time.
- Holds up to 12 cups of coffee.
- Choose from small, large or manual dispensing options.
- Weekday/weekends settings.
- Front facing water window for easy level monitoring.
- 3-position adjustable drip tray accommodates cups of different sizes, including travel mugs.
- Includes water filteration system.
Cuisinart DCC-3000 Coffee-on-Demand 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker:
- Programmable coffee maker with 12 cup capacity.
- Coffee gauge shows amount of available coffee.
- Press lever to dispense coffee.
- Removable drip tray. Accommodates travel mugs as well as other cup sizes.
- 1-4 cup settings allows you to adjust the temperature and coffee strength settings for when you’re brewing less than 5 cups.
Also available to buy from: 1stinCoffee.com
Hamilton Beach Brewstation 12-Cup Capacity with Internal Storage:
- On demand storage that holds up to 12 cups of coffee in an internal storage.
- Dispense one fresh coffee cup at a time.
- No carafe or hot plate required.
- Removable water reservoir for easy refilling.
- Dedicated Iced coffee program button brews coffee at double strength so it doesn’t get diluted when ice melts.
- Other brewing options include regular or bold brew, and ability to brew 1 to 4 cups.
- Digital clock with auto on/off timer.
KRUPS Cup on Request vs. Cuisinart DCC-3000 Coffee-on-Demand, Which Should You Buy?
So, which of the two machines we’ve mentioned above should you buy? Here’s a quick comparison between them:
Mainly, both machines work in a similar style and hold the same capacity of coffee. However, the KRUPS does offer more customization and programmablity:
- For starters, it has automatic dispensing as well as manual.
- It offers different aroma settings for you to adjust the strength of your coffee.
- Its re-positionable drip tray, while it may sound like a trivial feature, it great for eliminating splashing when using different cup sizes.
- And it does keep the coffee hot for a rather long time.
The Cuisinart does offer some of those features, but it isn’t as customizable or flexible as the KRUPS. It is more budget-friendly when it comes to price-range, so you’ll definitely be getting what you pay for, either with the KRUPS or the Cuisinart.
One last questions, is there an on-demand coffee maker with built-in grinder?
As of the time of this post, there are none. So you’ll have to purchase your grinder separately.