Great coffee starts with a great grind, that’s the rule. If you’re brewing using manual Pour Over method, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got the right grinder for the right grind.
What Type of Grind To Use For Pour Over?
[Photo Source: Prima-Coffee.com]
Pour Over uses a coarse type of grind, and never a fine grind. Anywhere between medium to coarse would work great for pour over.
What Grinder Is Best To Use?
There are two type of grinders you can choose from: a conical burr grinder, and they’re mostly electric, or a manual grinder, which would use ceramic mills.
Pros of Manual Grinder:
- Very affordable, $20 to $30 or slightly more.
- Portable: small in size and don’t need to be powered, so you can take it with you anywhere.
Cons of Manual Grinder:
- Eventually, you’ll get sick of the manual process of grinding, which takes up some time.
Pros of Electric Grinder:
- Fully automatic process, choose your grind settings and the grinder will do it for you.
- Quick and easy process, doesn’t take time.
- Conical burr grinders give a more consistent grind which result in better coffee.
Cons of Electric Grinder:
- More expensive than manual grinders.
- Takes up space in your counter top.
Which Grinders Do We Recommend?
For Manual Grinding…
Hario Coffee Milk Ceramic Grinder:
- Adjustable ceramic grinder.
- Slim design for easy storage.
- Can be stored without the handle.
- Transparent design makes it easy to see amount of coffee you’re grinding.
- All parts can be disassembled for easy cleaning.
For More Manual Grinders to Consider Click Here.
For Electric Grinding…
Baratza Encore Electric Conical Burr Grinder:
- Gives you a wide range of grind settings for methods like drip, french press, espresso, pour over and more.
- Choose from 40 grind settings
- Has an accurate medium to coarse grind for the increasingly popular manual brew methods such as pour-over.
- Adjustable speed.
- Sealed bean hopper with 8 oz capacity.
- Ground coffee container capacity 5 oz.
- Makes a great entry-level grinder for many coffee brewing methods.
For More Electric Conical Burr Grinder Recommendations, Click Here.