You’ve probably seen one of those home appliances that have an instantly identifiable retro design somewhere around or on TV. They’ve become increasingly popular as of late. And chances are, what you’ve seen is an appliance by Smeg.
Smeg is an Italian brand known for using 50s retro designs for their products, making them not only functional appliances, but part of your kitchen decor. And while the design is retro, the technology is very modern, so you’re getting the best of both worlds.
The Italian brand makes all kinds of kitchen appliances, large and small. But the focus here is going to be on Smeg’s retro style drip coffee maker.
Smeg Coffee Makers:
Features of Smeg Coffee Maker:
- Updated product features!: new and improved “keep Warm” function lasting up to 60 minutes after brewing, newly added sound control function, and our classic anti-drip system to keep your machine clean and dry.
- Design: STYLISH throwback to 1950’s era Appliances- Coffee machine comes complete with anti-slip feet, A user friendly control panel, and water level indicator. Unit also includes a sleek 10-cup capacity glass carafe.
- Brew: multiple brewing options including a 4-cup function or full carafe for larger gatherings.
- Unique product functions: several customizable features that help to make this programmable Coffee maker rise above its competitors including an automatic start mode to have your Coffee ready and waiting for you Every morning, an aroma intensity function to cater to your preference, and an adjustable water hardness feature to your tailor your own unique taste.
- Eco-friendly: designed with the environment and your wallet in mind! Coffee maker features a reusable filter with a user-friendly handle that does not require paper filters, but can accommodate them if preferred.
- Classic drip coffee maker with a 50s era style.
- 10 cup capacity, minimum brew size is 4-cups.
- Full metal housing.
- Keep Warm function keeps coffee hot up to 60 minutes after brewing.
- Programmable digital clock with auto start function.
- Aroma Intensity feature allows you to adjust brew strength: light or intense.
- Includes a reusable brew filter.
- Available in different colors.
How To Use Smeg Coffee Machine?
Smeg’s coffee maker works like any other drip coffee maker. It’s quite a classic machine. Fill your filter with ground coffee, fill up the water reservoir and hit the brew button. It’s not a complicated coffee maker at all. Everything is clearly marked on the control panel and is LED lit so it’s easy to read.
What Coffee Does Smeg Coffee Maker Use?
What kind of coffee to use it totally up to you, as long as it’s the right grind for drip coffee. If you’re grinding your own beans, make sure you’re using a conical burr grinder that will give you a consistent grind.
Does Smeg coffee maker use pods? Can it brew a single cup?
No it does not. It’s a filter coffee maker so it’s strictly ground coffee. Also, it does not brew a single cup of coffee, the minimum it can brew is 4-cups. However, this is measured in 5 ounce sizing. So 4 cups totals to 20 oz, this could be two large mugs or a single travel mug capacity.
Smeg Conical Burr Grinder:
As already mentioned, using the right grind of coffee makes all the difference in brewing a really delicious pot of coffee. Pre ground coffee can work okay, but they go stale faster than freshly ground coffee.
If you already have a conical burr grinder then great, you’re all set! Otherwise, you can match your Smeg coffee machine with a conical burr grinder of the same style and color!
Features of Smeg Burr Grinder:
- DURABLE & STURDY: 50's Retro Style Aesthetic Coffee Grinder has a Die-cast aluminum powder coated body and a Backlit chrome knob.
- PROGRAMS AND FUNCTIONS: Adjustable coffee quantity, adjustable grinding size, available grinding steps (fine, medium, coarse), american coffee and french press 6 functions. Powder container with Twist & Lock system. Available grinding sector: 30. Espresso coffee function: 2. Manual function aswell.
- FEATURES: removable stainless steel conical burr grinder, Tritan bean hopper container, Tritan coffee powder container, antislip base, antistatic system. Bean hopper capacity: 350 gr. RPM: 450. Powder container capacity: 130 gr
- ACCESORIES INCLUDED: cleaning brush, powder container support, centering filter support. Electric information: 220-240 V. 50-60 Hz. 150 W. Cable: 1 meter lenght.
- 30-step adjustable grind settings good for any brewing method from espresso (fine) to french press (very coarse) and everything in between.
- Stainless steel conical burrs, easily removable for cleaning.
- Durable die-cast powder coated aluminum body.
- Backlit chrome knob.
- Tritan bean hopper and coffee ground containers.
- Bean hopper capacity is 350 gr – coffee ground container capacity is 130 gr.
This coffee grinder is great for any method of brewing you might want to use. Using freshly ground coffee will transform the way you drink your coffee forever. And if this grinder is not to your liking, you can have a look at other recommended conical burr grinders here.
Are Smeg Coffee Makers Any Good? Should You Buy One?
When it comes to function, Smeg’s coffee maker works just as promised. It will brew a nice pot of coffee, it has all the features a coffee maker should have: keep-warm function, auto start, brew strength control.
The question here isn’t if it’s any good, but is it worth it’s price?
Smeg’s coffee makers are not cheap. And for the features it provides, it’s considered to be expensive. The features are good, but basic. And the price is above basic.
So, what does that mean? Should you or should you not buy one?
If you decide on buying a Smeg coffee maker, then keep in mind that what you’re paying for it purely the gorgeous design and colors of the machine. It also has a really durable metal housing, unlike most coffee makers that have plastic bodies. So thankfully it also feels expensive.
If beautiful design is what you’re looking for, then by all means, get one in your favorite color! You’ll absolutely love it. There is nothing wrong with paying for beautiful aesthetics, as long as you do it consciously.
However, if you’re not willing to pay that much just for looks, then let me direct you to coffee makers with better functions that are worth the higher price…
Have a look at these Specialty Coffee Association Certified coffee makers that are guaranteed to make you the best cup of coffee according to the experts.
What about the Smeg coffee grinder? Is it worth it’s price?
There are two parts to this:
- Like their coffee maker, Smeg’s coffee grinder has durable metal housing and the same beautiful design, which gives it an expensive look and feel.
- However, for the same price, you can probably get a burr grinder with more grind settings and broader use than Smeg’s.
So again, if design is important to you, then this is a great choice. The grinder is actually quite good and will give you enough grind settings for most brew methods. But if you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, this isn’t it. Here are some recommendations for a burr grinder.