Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder vs. Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder: What’s The Difference Between Them?
We’ve previously written about the Breville Smart Grinder as one of the top conical burr grinders whether you’re grinder for espresso, french press or drip coffee. We’ve also compared the Breville Smart Grinder to the Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder to help you make a better buying decision. In this post, we’ll be comparing the smart grinder to another popular choice for a coffee grinder, the Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder. Read on to learn what is the difference between them and which is a better choice for you.
Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder vs. Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder – What Is The Difference?
Image Feature 50mm commercial grade grinding burrs
Grinds directly into porta filter for simple operation
Powerful 166-watt direct drive quiet operation motor
Tinted hopper with a 0.65lb capacity
Simple variable grinder adjustment control
25 Grind Settings for French press, drip, percolator and espresso coffee
Backlit LCD Screen clearly shows grind setting, number of cups or shots and customized grind amount
Auto dosing system calibrates each adjusted dose
Bean Hopper with air tight lid and locking system for easy removal storage and transfer of coffee beans
Accessories include two portafilter cradles, grind container and conical burr cleaning brush
Title Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Coffee Grinder Breville BCG800BSXL Smart Grinder Coffee Machine, Black Sesame Reviews Read Reviews Read Reviews Link More Info More Info
- The Breville Smart Grinder offers easy options for customizing your coffee grind with simple push of a button. The LCD display allows you to select your desired coffee volume, coffee strength and grind setting (coarse to fine). You can choose from 25 pre-set grind settings suited for almost all coffee brewing methods. You can also do manual settings. With the Rancilio Rocky, you can manually select your grind setting with a variable grind control.
- If you’re grinding for espresso, you’ll love the Breville’s portafilter cradles (two sizes included 58mm and 50/54mm) that allow you to grind right into your portafilter, hands-free. The Rocky includes 1 metal portafilter holder, but the grinding operation isn’t hands-free.
- The Breville includes a grind container with a sealing cap as well as a cleaning brush.
- Bean hopper capacity for the Breville is larger, holding up to 1 pound of beans. The Rancilio Rocky holds just a little over 0.500 lbs.
- The Breville Smart Grinder a LOT easier to clean, parts come out quite easily. With the Rocky, you have to actually screw out a few nails to get the parts out, it’s a complicated and time consuming.
- The Breville smart grinder is available in three colors: silver, red and black.
Which Should I Buy?
Both the Breville Smart Grinder and Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder are top of the line conical burr grinders that provide a high-quality consistent coffee grind. The Rancilio Rocky is a more expensive option, almost twice the price of the Breville, which might lead you to think its a better option, but that’s certainly not the case. The Breville Smart Grinder is packed with great features and it’s perfect for the home user, where we think the Rancilio Rocky is more suited for commercial use, it does require more expertise for someone to be able to measure the grind coarseness and volume manually. We highly recommend the Breville Smart Grinder for home users and for any type of coffee grind you require.
Side by Side Comparison of the Breville Smart Grinder vs. Rancilio Rocky Grinder:
Type Of Coffee Gear
- Espresso Machines
- Single-Serve Espresso Machines
- Coffee Grinders
- Coffee Pod Organizers
- Tips and Info
- Coffee Makers
- Pour-Over Coffee Brewers
- Pour-Over Coffee Tools
- Single-Serve Coffee Makers
- French Press Pots
- Super-Automatic Espresso Machines
- Dual Boiler Espresso Machines
- Electric Milk Frothers
- Electric Water Kettles
- Stovetop Moka Pots
- Vacuum Siphon Coffee Makers