Top Asked Questions About Nespresso Machines Answered
Got a question about Nespresso Machines, how they work and what coffee you can enjoy from it? In this post, we’ve compiled the most asked questions about Nespresso and its machines. It covers the machines, capsules and accessories. And if you still got a question that we haven’t answered, feel free to contact us here.
Questions About Nespresso Machines:
What Is a Nespresso Machine and How Does It Work?
Nespresso machine is a single-serve espresso machine that makes one cup of espresso or lungo coffee at a time. Instead of having you prepare the coffee ground, measure and brew, the machine uses exclusive Nespresso capsules that are already pre-measured with the perfect amount of coffee. You’ll simply put in the capsule, press a button and enjoy your coffee!
Nespresso is a truly luxurious experience at home, giving you high cafe quality coffee drinks prepared automatically with a simple press of a button.
What Kind of Coffee Does Nespresso Make?
It prepares Espresso (1.35 oz), Lungo (3.7 oz), Ristretto (0.85 oz) as well as espresso based drinks like Cappuccino, Latte or Macchiato.
How Many Nespresso Machines Are Available? What Are My Choices?
There two main types of Nespresso machines:
- Nespresso OriginalLine – the original Nespresso Machines which include: Pixie, U, CitiZ, Inissia and Lattissima. These use the same technology and are compatible with the original Nespresso capsules.
- Nespresso VertuoLine – the Nespresso an only Nespresso machine that makes both Espresso and Coffee. It uses a new technology (different than the OriginalLine) and new redesigned capsules.
More about VertuoLine here: https://coffeegearathome.com/nespresso-vertuoline-the-first-espresso-and-coffee-maker-by-nespresso/
What Is the Difference Between the Nespresso Pixie, U and CitiZ?
- All Nespresso machines work the exact same way and provide the exact delicious cup of coffee. The difference between these machines comes in a few features or design. For example:
- The Nespresso Pixie is small in size, has LED backlight which works as notifier as well. It’s the only Nespresso machine made in Switzerland.
- The Nespresso U has automatic memorization for your preferred customization for different capsules. It also has a rotating water reservoir that makes it adjustable to your space.
- The CitiZ has the largest water reservoir. It’s also available as a stand-alone machine or with a built-in milk frother.
Please refer to our post here for more details on the difference between these machines: https://coffeegearathome.com/a-comparison-between-nespresso-u-pixie-and-citiz-which-one-is-best-to-buy/
What Is The Difference Between Nespresso and Dulce Gusto?
You might have heard of another single-serve system called Dulce Gusto. This is another machine by Nestle, makers of Nespresso. However, there’s a HUGE difference between them, mainly in the quality of coffee and capsules:
- Nespresso capsules are made of pure coffee. The machine only brews Espresso drinks (or coffee in VertuoLine’s case). You can create coffee drinks using fresh milk which can be heated and frothed by Nespresso’s frother or your own. Either way, what you get is a fresh cup of coffee made from fresh ingredients.
- As for Dolce Gusto, you’ll find it has a variety of coffee and coffee flavored drinks. The Dolce Gusto capsules include the coffee, artificial flavors as well as powder milk, which all can be prepared by the Dolce Gusto system. It’s possible that it tastes good – I’m not judging the taste here, I’ve never actually tried it – but it’s a far cry from the quality you’d be getting from Nespresso.
Which Nespresso Machine Is Smallest In Size?
If you’re worried about counter space, the Nespresso Inissia ( 4.7 x 12.6 x 9 inches ) and Pixie ( 4.4 x 12.8 x 9.3 in) are the smallest in size. (UPDATE: Another small Nespresso machine has been released, it’s called Essenza Mini)
Which Nespresso Machine is The Most Affordable?
Right now, the Inissia and Essenza Mini are the most affordable Nespresso machines ( as of time of writing – prices are subject to change by vendors), but it also lacks a lot of the advanced features other Nespresso machines have. Yet, they’re a great choice for anyone on a budget.
Where Can I Buy a Nespresso Machine?
You can buy it directly from Nespresso or you can buy it from Amazon.
Questions About Nespresso Capsules:
What Coffee Pods/Capsules Can I use in a Nespresso Machine?
Nespresso have their own exclusive line of espresso capsules. You can’t use any pods from any coffee brand. However, there are a few alternatives available, which we’ll talk about below.
What Kind of Coffee Does Nespresso Have?
They have a great range of coffee blends, available in different intensities and flavors. You can choose from 22 different capsules to try.
Where Can I Buy Nespresso Capsules?
There are many Nespresso Boutiques available worldwide (check for locations on their website). You can also buy it from them directly online. Another option is to buy it from Amazon (although slightly more expensive). Why do people choose to buy from Amazon over Nespresso? For many reason:
- Nespresso has a set of rules when it comes to purchasing capsules – you have to buy in multiples of 5. But you do get free 2 day shipping.
- With Amazon – you have to freedom to buy whatever amount you like. There are also many variety packs as well as limited editions capsules available which might not be available at Nespresso.
Click here to see available Nespresso capsules at Amazon.
How Many Capsules Do I Get Per Sleeve/Package?
Each sleeve has 10 capsules.
Do All Nespresso Machines Use The Same Type of Capsules?
There are two types of Nespresso Machines:
Nespresso OriginalLine (Includes Pixie, CitiZ, U, Inissia, Lattissima…) these all use the same type of Espresso capsules you see pictured above.
Nespresso VertuoLine uses its own type of capsules (not compatible with OriginalLine) and they’re available in Coffee or Espresso.
Can I Use Dolce Gusto Pods in a Nespresso Machine?
No, you cannot as they’re not compatible.
What Is The Nespresso Welcome Pack?
When you get your Nespresso machine, it has a Welcome Pack, which is a pack that includes one capsule of each coffee they have for you to try and choose your favorite.
We’re not fans of this deal for two reasons:
- The type of blends are pre-selected for you, so you might get something that you don’t like.
- The Nespresso gifts that you’re getting might seem like good value, but they’re basically overpriced accessories.
Can I Use My Own Coffee With a Nespresso Machine?
There’s not an official way to do so, but there are a few refillable Nespresso capsules out there. These are not officially available from Nespresso, and you have to be careful which you choose as some may be harmful to your machine. Instead of using your own coffee, I’d suggest you buy Nespresso compatible pods…
Are All Nespresso Capsules The Same Size?
If they’re in the same category then they’re the same size. All OriginalLine Nespresso capsules are the same size, same goes for VertuoLine capsules.
How Many Times Can I Use a Nespresso Capsule?
Each capsule can be used just once.
Which Nespresso Compatible Pods are The Best?
These are pods that are quite similar to Nespresso’s, so they’re not harmful to your machine. By buying from a few different brands, you’ll expand the available variation to you. One of the best brands available is Gourmesso, a european brand that specializes in Nespresso pods. Their coffee has been highly rated by customers, and it is the cheapest Nespresso alternative pod available.
Can I Make My Own Nespresso Capsules?
Maybe there’s a DIY way to do it, but why would you want to do that? It takes the whole Nespresso experience out of it. The idea here is to have a high quality cup of coffee with a push of a button. Making your own capsules is a whole lot of hassle.
Other/ Nespresso Accessories:
What Accessories Can I Buy For My Nespresso Machine?
- The Aeroccino Milk Frother: this is a fantastic option for someone who likes milk based coffee drinks like Cappuccinos and Lattes. It creates frothy milk, hot or cold, with push of a button. You can get this bundled with a Nespresso machine or get it on your own. You can also get milk frothers from other brands.
- Nespresso Capsule Organizer: This is a must-have for organizing your capsules. See our favorite picks here: https://coffeegearathome.com/best-holders-and-storage-units-to-organize-your-nespresso-capsules/
Type Of Coffee Gear
- Espresso Machines
- Single-Serve Espresso Machines
- Coffee Grinders
- Coffee Pod Organizers
- Tips and Info
- Coffee Makers
- Pour-Over Coffee Brewers
- Pour-Over Coffee Tools
- Single-Serve Coffee Makers
- French Press Pots
- Super-Automatic Espresso Machines
- Dual Boiler Espresso Machines
- Electric Milk Frothers
- Electric Water Kettles
- Stovetop Moka Pots
- Vacuum Siphon Coffee Makers