Russell Hobbs is a well known brand coming from the UK that has been manufacturing home appliances since the 1950s. While it’s been a loved brand in UK and Europe, it’s been making a good impression in the US, too.
In this post, we want to look at their nicely designed glass series 8-cup coffee maker. It looks great, no doubt there, but do the features match the design? Read on to find out…
Features of Russell Hobbs Glass Series 8-Cup Coffee Maker:
- Fast brew technology. 40% faster brewing than previous Russell Hobbs coffee maker model.
- Advanced Showerhead brew technology: the showerhead is designed to fully saturate the coffee ground for a full bodied flavor and perfect extraction.
- Fully programmable: Set a timer for auto start.
- LCD Display for easy machine programmability, timer setting and time display.
- Pause and Pour feature allows you to pause the brewing cycle before it is finished allowing you to pour a cup.
- Glass carafe with 42 oz capacity.
- Hot warming plate keeps coffee hot.
- Premium stainless steel exterior.
What Is Showerhead Technology?
In older generation of coffee makers, the spout where the hot water comes down to saturate the coffee ground would be usually a really small spout. That usually resulted in coffee ground around the edges of the filter not getting wet at all, or not wet enough to extract fully. Showerhead technology was created to fix this issue. Now, the spout has more holes and sprays water evenly around the entire filter, leaving no coffee ground unsaturated. This type of water spraying evenly covers and wets all coffee ground, giving you full flavor extraction from your coffee ground.
Russell Hobbs Glass Series vs. Russell Hobbs CM7000S, Which Is Best?
The CM7000S model is the previous one to the Glass Series we reviewed above. It has a similar design with beautiful and sleek stainless steel finish. However, it lacks some features:
- No showerhead: CM7000S has a traditional spout for water. Which means you won’t be getting the same even extraction that you’d get from the Glass Series coffee maker.
- Not programmable: The CM7000S has no programmability function, so you can’t set it to auto start.
- The Glass Series coffee maker is 40% faster than the CM7000S.
Which One Do You Buy?
Of course, we prefer the Russell Hobbs Glass Series to the CM7000S model for the advanced features. Especially that the price difference between them is not big (as of the time of writing this post, at least). So we definitely believe you should go for the newer model instead of the CM7000S.
Like every Keurig owner, you probably love the convenience of your coffee maker. Whether you make just a single cup a day or a lot more, knowing that your favorite beverage is just a press of a button a way is always comforting.
But you also know that those pod costs can pile up. Although you’re still saving a lot of money by making your coffee using a Keurig machine, as opposed to visiting a coffee shop, it would still be great to save as much as possible on the cost of your K-Cup pods!
This is what we’re going to focus on in this post. We’ll show you the best options for cheap K-Cup pods, whether you’re looking for coffee packs, tea packs or variety pack. We’ll also answer common questions about K-Cup pods.
Are K-Cup Pods Recyclable?
This is one of the most common questions about K-Cup pods. People love their K-Cup coffee, but they are also concerned about the environmental impact of plastic. Unfortunately, the majority of big brand K-cup pods are still not recyclable. But there are some smaller ethical brands that are offering recyclable as well as compostable K-Cup pods.
We’ve already talked about recyclable K-Cup pods in a previous post. And we’ve mentioned Intelligent Blends K-Cup pods as a great option to get recyclable as well as cheap K-Cup pods. Intelligent Blends uses fully recyclable pods. They offer different coffee roasts -some are Organic-, tea – also with organic options, flavored coffee and many variety packs. Their coffee is Kosher-certified. And since you’ll be shopping factory-direct, you can buy them for as low as $0.39 per pod. Intelligent Blends K-Cup pods are compatible with all Keurig brewers, including Classic Keurig, Keurig 2.0 and K-cup compatible coffee makers.
What Is The Cheapest Price Per K-Cup Pod You Can Get?
This is something we cannot guarantee for sure, as prices are changing constantly. But as of the time of writing this post, the cheapest pods we could find are as low as $0.25 per pod. Some of Victor Allen coffee K-Cup pods seem to be one of the cheapest available.
What Is The Best Dark Roast K-Cup Variety Pack?
Maud’s Dark Roast Variety Pack includes three type of dark roast coffee:
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Their most popular roast, with roast level 8. It’s a strong, full-bodied blend with notes of toasted nuts.
- French Roast from the Coast: Very dark roast (roast profile 9). It’s the boldest roast, with burnt undertones. Produces a bold and flavorful cup of coffee.
- Espress-O Yourself: here, you’ve reached the highest level of dark roasts (level 10). This very dark roast will remind you of a classic cup of espresso. It’s the darkest and boldest blend Maud has created.
This variety pack is available in 72 ct or 144 ct. You can buy it as a single-time purchase or subscribe to save even more on its price.
Bold and Dark Roast Variety Pack:
This pack includes Dark roast and Bold flavors from different brands. It has a total of 40 K-Cups.
What Is The Best Flavored K-Cup Variety Pack?
Another great variety pack by Maud’s is their flavored pack. Their flavored pack includes a number of gourmet flavored coffee:
- French Toast Roast: cinnamon with a taste of maple syrup and butter.
- Sister Hazelnut: smooth flavor of toasted hazelnut and vanilla.
- Gone Banana’s Fosters: Subtle notes of banana and vanilla ice cream with buttery brown sugar, cinnamon and dark rum.
- Raspberry Choco-Latte: taste of raspberry blended with chocolate flavor and powdered sugar.
- Hottie Biscotti Vanilla Almond: notes of Vanilla Ice cream with toasted almonds.
- Jamaican Rum Yum: Notes of sweet molasses, caramel coconut and vanilla.
As most flavored coffee, the roast is medium. The pack is available in 100ct for $0.44 per pod.
Cappuccino K-Cup Variety Pack:
If you prefer your flavored coffee with milk, Maud’s Vanilla and Mocha Cappuccino pod
is something to consider. This pack contains:
- 22 ct of Vanilla Cappuccino pods: this is a dark roast blend mixed with creamy vanilla flavor.
- 22 ct of Mocha Cappuccino pods: which is dark roast coffee mixed with chocolate flavor.
These pods already contain powdered milk in them so you get nicely blended coffee, milk and your choice of vanilla or chocolate flavor.
Are There Organic K-Cup Pods? Where Can I Buy Them?
Yes! Luckily, there are many brands that offer organic K-Cup pods.
Maud’s Organic Variety Pack K-Cups:
This premium K-Cup pack includes 4 single-origin, USDA organic coffee. They are also Fairtrade certified and they contain %30 more coffee!
This variety includes:
Colombian – Guatemala – Sumatran and Ethiopian. Total of 96 ct.
San Francisco Bay OneCup Organic Rainforest Blend:
This brand of K-Cup pods, known as OneCup, promises to give you French Press-like experience, thanks to its mesh filter pod. It contains USDA certified coffee, and this specific blend contains a mix of medium roasted coffees from Colombia, Mexico, Guatemala, and Indonesia. Some parts of OneCup pods are compostable.
Green Mountain Single Origin Organic Sumatran Coffee:
This pack from Green Mountain features organic FairTrade single-origin coffee from Sumatra. The coffee is dark roasted with notes of spice and brown sugar. These pods, however, are not recyclable.
Best Tea K-Cup Variety Pack:
Prefer tea to coffee? We got you!
Maud’s Organic Tea Variety Pack:
This variety pack of gourmet tea will appeal to any tea lover. It has different blends of teas for you to discover and enjoy.
- Royally Good English Breakfast: Classic english breakfast tea that contains a blend of Assam, Ceylon and Kenyan teas. This full bodied blend can be enjoyed on its own or mixed with some milk and sugar.
- Organic Passion Tea with Envy: Green tea blended with sweet tropical fruits for a refreshing and healthy blend.
- Uncle Earl’s Going Grey: the humorous name for this blend is not the only thing to smile about, but also the smoothness of this classic Earl Gray black tea.
- Organic Peppermint Pattie: Peppermint tea is the perfect choice for relaxing at the end of the day. It’s also highly recommended for the support of the digestive system. This blend has a highly aromatic taste and cooling sensation.
Celestial Seasonings Tea Sampler:
This pack includes a count of 22 K-Cup that include:
- Lemon Zinger herbal tea.
- Fair Trade certified Green Tea
- Sleepy time Herbal Tea
- English Breakfast black tea.
Two Rivers Assorted Tea Sampler:
Includes a 40 count of 29 different tea flavors. However, please note that this sampler is only compatible with Classic Keurig machines and not Keurig 2.0 machines.
How Can I Try Maud’s Coffee and Tea Pods Before Buying a Large Amount of Pods?
We understand that you don’t want to buy a large count of pods of coffee you’ve never tried before. That totally makes sense! That’s why Maud’s made sampler packs available. These are cheap sample packs with a small count of pods that allows you to taste each pod before buying in large amounts. You can check out the coffee samplers here, and the tea samplers here.
By the way, Maud’s is Intelligent Blend’s in-house signature line. So when buying Maud’s, you’re buying recyclable pods, too!
K-Cup Pods vs. Soft Pods, Are They The Same?
K-Cup pods are often referred to simply as ‘coffee pods’. But for the longest time, that name was used to describe another type of coffee pod, which is also known as the soft pod. And that’s where the confusion comes from.
A soft coffee pod and a K-Cup Pod are entirely different things:
- A coffee pod (soft pod) is a flat pod containing coffee ground in a round paper filter. These pods cannot be used in a Keurig machine, but designed for other brewers. You can use them in some espresso machines as well as some single-serve brewers, but they have to state that they are compatible with ‘soft coffee pods’. These pods are available as tea pods, too.
- K-Cup coffee pod: that’s the plastic pod you’ve been using all along (if you already own a Keurig coffee maker). K-Cup pods work in Keurig and K-cup compatible coffee makers.
Keurig machines only brew K-Cup pods and you cannot use a soft pod with them.
What Is a K-Carafe Pod?
If you’re an owner of a Keurig 2.0 coffee machine, then you already know that one of the new things about it is that it can brew a carafe. K-Carafe pods are just like K-Cup pods, but they’re made especially for brewing a carafe serving. K-Carafe pods are designed to contain more coffee ground so your brewed carafe serving is strong and delicious and not being watered down.
How Do I know Which Pod Is For a Carafe?
Each pod for Keurig 2.0 has an icon that identifies if it’s for a cup, mug or carafe. In the case of a K-Carafe, like pictured above, you’ll notice the icon of a carafe to indicate that it’s a K-Carafe pod.
Where Can I Buy K-Carafe Pods?
K-Carafe pods are widely available in major stores (Walmart, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Costco… ) or online. If you prefer to purchase online, you can buy them directly from Keurig’s website or Amazon.
This K-Carafe variety pack includes three different coffee blends: Donut House Coffee, Green Mountain’s French Roast and Green Mountain’s French Vanilla.
Newman’s Special Blend is a blend of Fairtrade certified and USDA Organic coffee. This blend is a mix of medium and dark roast coffee.
This variety pack contains a mix of 10 different coffee blends, including flavored coffee and no decaf.
What Is The Difference Between a K-Carafe and K-Cup?
This is what a K-Cup looks like. It looks the same as a K-Carafe for the most part. But a K-Cup contains enough coffee ground to brew only a cup of coffee. While a K-Carafe contains enough coffee ground to brew a carafe of 4 cups. That’s the only difference between them.
How Many Ounces Does a K-Carafe Make?
The maximum you can get out of a K-Carafe is 30 ounces. Keurig’s carafe has the capacity of 32 oz.
Can You Reuse a K-Carafe Pod?
No, neither a K-carafe or K-cup pod are reusable.
Is There a Refillable K-Carafe Pod?
Yes, absolutely! You can buy a refillable K-Carafe filter, and that can be reused as many times as you like!
K-Carafe vs. Keurig Vue, Are They The Same?
If you’re familiar with Keurig’s Vue system, you might be wondering if their pods will work with a Keuirg 2.0 or vice versa, since they do look the same. According to Keurig’s website, Vue pods will work in Keurig 2.0 machines, however, they are not available in a carafe size. But they’ll work for brewing a single cup.
If you’re looking design, form and function in a coffee maker, Wilfa Svart is something to consider. Centered around Nordic coffee tradition, where coffee is almost a religious ritual, the design of Svart is beautiful, simple and gives you an experience that you will truly enjoy.
Svart mimics the method of pour-over for brewing coffee. And unlike other automatic pour over coffee makers, Svart actually gives you the ability to control the flow rate of the coffee brew, so you can either have it drip right away, or have the coffee steep for a little bit before dripping.
Features of Wilfa Svart Precision Coffee Maker:
- Automatic filter brewer with precise temperature and water control.
- Precise heating system delivers water at 197º-205ºF temperature, which is the optimal temperature for coffee brewing.
- Detachable water reservoir with marked measurements for water to coffee ground ratio.
- Flow control: adjust the flow rate of coffee.
- Includes a glass carafe.
- Hot Warming plate to keep the coffee hot in carafe.
- Brushed stainless steel finish.
- LED display with kitchen timer and clock
Wilfa Svart Precision vs. Technivorm Moccamaster, What’s The Difference?
Image Title Moccamaster KBG 741 10-Cup Coffee Brewer with Glass Carafe, Polished Silver Wilfa Coffee Maker Automatic / Svart Presisjon Model WSP-1A - NEW Feature Auto drip-stop brew-basket with glass carafe
Exclusive auto-adjusting dual-phase hot-plate element keeps holding temperature between 176 degree-185 degree, auto shut-off after 100 minutes
Brews full carafe in 6 minutes
Brews at consistent 196 degree-205 degree f with a pulse action that allows for the perfect coffee bloom during extraction process
Ecbc, SCAA, SCAE approved
5 year warranty
Produces the most flavorful results in a short time
Automatic filter brewer is engineered for extremely precise temperature and water control
Precise heating system delivers water at optimal brew temperature through entire cycle (197º-205ºF); Detachable water tank with measurement markings for correct coffee/water ratio
Die-cast aluminum with brushed finish and 110V power plug
Reviews Read Reviews Read Reviews Link More Info More Info
One of the most popular automatic pour over coffee makers is the Technivorm Moccamaster, which is an artful machine that is handmade and individually tested in the Netherlands. You can read our full article on the Moccamaster here.
The Wilfa Svart and Moccamaster do have some features in common, starting with the brewing method. Both machines do coffee pour-over style, with their showerhead water action and optimal temperature of 196 to 205 F. But let’s look more into the differences between these two machines:
- Both machines have rather beautiful designs. Svart has a unique design, where the pump and boiler all sit in the base of it. Moccamaster has an iconic retro design that many people like to have on display on their kitchen counters.
- The Svart has some details that are rather interesting:
- First, the water tank is detachable. Making it easier to simply pick up the tank and fill it up.
- Second, the measurement on the water tank show the best coffee measurement to water ratio. This makes it easier for beginners to get the coffee to water ratio correctly.
- Svart has a glass carafe as well as a hot warming plate to keep the coffee hot.
- Moccamaster is available with a glass carafe/warming plate or a thermal carafe model.
- Both coffee makers have up to 10 cups capacity, about 40 oz to 42 oz.
- Moccamaster is full handmade and tested in the Netherlands, which ensures every brewer is up to the highest standards possible. It is also available in different colors and finishes.
- We’re not sure where Wilfa Svart is made as the information is not available on their website.
- One of the great features of the Wilfa Svart is the flow control and steeping feature, which allows you to control the rate of which the brew drips.
- Moccamaster does not have a Flow Control option.
Which Is Best To Buy?
Although both coffee makers can brew an exceptional cup of coffee, we do prefer the Technivorm Moccamaster for these reasons:
- It is more popular. Although this isn’t a popularity competition, but what we mean here is that since the Moccamaster is more popular, then any replacement parts you might need can be more accessible. Which is an important thing to keep in mind.
- Glass/Thermal Option: with the Moccamaster, you can choose to either get a glass carafe or a thermal carafe model. Svart can only offer a glass carafe.
- Moccamaster comes with an industry leading 5-year warranty.
- Some Moccamaster models are available in many colors.
- Handmade and individually tested in Netherlands. This adds to the quality standards of the coffee maker.
Review of Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker:
Review of Technivorm Moccamaster:
Bonavita has a line of many coffee brewers that are SCA Certified, which are tested and approved by the Specialty Coffee Association. This makes Bonavita a brand to be trusted to make a quality cup of coffee, without a question.
One of Bonavita’s releases is the Bonavita Metropolitan Coffee Brewer (BV1901PW). In this post, we will be looking at the features of this model and how it compares to other Bonavita models.
Features of Bonavita Metropolitan BV1901PW:
- 1500Watts water heater heats and maintains the water at an ideal brewing temperature of 198 F to 205 F.
- Pre-infusion mode lightly wets the coffee ground before brewing to bloom it. This is optional and can be turned off.
- Shower head design ensures all coffee ground is fully saturated with water when brewing.
- Flat bottom filter basket.
- Tempered glass carafe.
- Non-stick coated warming plate turns off automatically after 40 minutes.
- Sleek Matte black design.
- Audible alert goes off when coffee is ready.
- 8-cup capacity.
Is Bonavita Metropolitan Different Than Other Bonavita Brewers?
We’ve compared Bonavita models before, like the BV1900TS vs BV1800. So is the newer BV1901PW any different?
Well, internally, Bonavita brewers are the same and work the same way. Some of the differences come as slight different design, capacity or material of the carafe. For the Bonavita Metropolitan, it is different in design:
- It has a matte black exterior which gives it a very modern look.
- The glass carafe has a new design, too. It is more artisan-looking, and different than the traditional glass carafe design.
- The carafe no longer attaches to the filter basket like other models, it simply sits under it.
Bonavita BV1901PW vs BV1901GW, What’s The Difference?
These two, again, are essentially the same in how they brew the coffee. They are also the same capacity and have almost the same glass carafe.
Here’s how they’re different:
- The Metropolitan (BV1901PW) has a matte black finish.
- The BV1901GW has a mostly stainless steel finish.
- Both models have the same glass carafe with its modern design. However, on the BV1901GW, the carafe attaches to the filter basket. So in order to get the carafe, you’ll have to pull out the filter and the carafe together.
What About Bonavita BV1902DW vs. BV1901PW and BV1901GW?
This model is more similar to the BV1901GW than the BV1901PW. In fact, it is the same in all features except for you:
The BV1902DW is programmable. Which means it has a digital timer that allows for auto start, and it displays the time.
Which One Do You Buy?
- Whichever model of Bonavita’s brewers you choose, know that you’ll be getting the same quality of coffee since they all work the same.
- The Metropolitan BV1901PW is great for its sleek aesthetics. The matte finish is very in and looks quite modern and cool. And it makes sense to pick an appliance for its good looks since it will be sitting on display on your counter.
- Between the BV1901GW and BV1902DW, the difference is the timer. If it’s important to you that your brewer has auto start, then go for the BV1902DW. If not, save on the price difference and go for the timer-free BV1901PW.
Type Of Coffee Gear
- Espresso Machines
- Single-Serve Espresso Machines
- Coffee Grinders
- Coffee Pod Organizers
- Tips and Info
- Coffee Makers
- Pour-Over Coffee Brewers
- Pour-Over Coffee Tools
- Single-Serve Coffee Makers
- French Press Pots
- Super-Automatic Espresso Machines
- Dual Boiler Espresso Machines
- Electric Milk Frothers
- Electric Water Kettles
- Stovetop Moka Pots
- Vacuum Siphon Coffee Makers